Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Circle of Life

Hey Bloggers!

You all know that I've been dealing with the loss of a family friend. Well, he was buried last week, amidst a lot of drama. Sad, but that's the way it goes sometime. Another very good friend of mine had a baby shower for her oldest daughter this past weekend. She's having a baby boy; her second child, and second boy. There's a ten year gap between her oldest son and the baby she is expecting. At any rate, to lighten the tone of my blog for this week, I decided to post the pattern and pictures of the present I made for her; a diaper cake, and a baby blanket. I call the baby blanket “Shades of Blue” Boy Blanket. I love the granny square pattern, but I've never written a pattern before, so please bear with me. Here goes:

“Shades of Blue” Boy Blanket

Granny Square – make 61
These are the colors I used, but you can use any shades of blue that you like.

RHSS Royal – 10
Baby Blue – 10
RHSS White – 9
Caron Simply Soft Ombre – 14
RHSS Blue – 8
RHSS Delft Blue - 10

Ch 4. Join with a sl st to form a ring.
Rnd 1: Ch3, 2dc in circle; ch2, 3 dc in circle; ch2, 3dc in circle; ch2, 3dc in circle, ch2. Sl st to top of beginning ch3. sl st into next 2 stitches. sl st into corner space.
Rnd 2. ch3, 2dc, ch2, 3dc in first corner space. Sk cluster, *3dc, ch2, 3dc in next corner space* Repeat from * to * 3 times. Sl st into top of beginning ch3 sp. sl st into next 2 stitches. Sl st into corner space.
Rnd 3. ch3, 2dc, ch2, 3dc in first corner space; sk next 3 dc; *3dc into space, sk next 3 dc, 3dc, ch2, 3dc in next corner, sk next 3 dc,* repeat from * to * 3 times. Sl st into top of beginning ch3 sp. Fasten off.

Half Granny Square – make 20

ch4, sl st to form circle.
Rnd1 Ch3, 2dc, ch2, 3dc in circle.
Rnd2 ch3 turn, 2dc in first ch space. Ch1, Sk 2dc, 3dc in space, ch2, 3dc in same space, ch1, 3dc into top of beginning ch3.
Rnd3 Ch3, turn, 2dc in first ch sp. Ch1, sk 2dc, 3dc into sp, ch1, sk 3dc, 3dc into sp, ch2, 3dc in same sp, ch1, sk 3dc, 3dc into sp, ch1, sk 3dc, 3dc into top of beginning ch3. Fasten off.

Join the squares in a diagonal pattern. When joined, the diagonal rows will contain 1,3,5,7,9,11,9,7,5,3,1 squares, with the half-grany squares placed in the triangular spaces, all the way around. Wish I knew how to diagram it so you could see it. Hope you can see what I mean by the pictures.

Boarder: Once all the squares and half-grannies are joined, sc around the blanket twice, with whichever color you prefer. I used RHSS Blue. Next round, dc all around. I used Baby Blue. Next round sc around then finish with picot stitch. Fasten off and weave in loose ends. You may have to do some shaping.

I know that's not the best pattern description. It's my first one. If you try to follow it and have problems, just email me, or hit me on Yahoo! Messenger.




I made everything that's in the diaper cake, too. Sweater, hat, 3 pairs of booties, bib, 4 wash cloths. With some trinkets from the dollar store, artificial greenery and ribbon, for my first diaper cake, I think it turned out great!

That's it for now Bloggers. Stay Blessed and happy.

VEM

No comments:

Post a Comment